What to do if Your Dog Ingests Poisoned
- If you know what your dog ingested (it should be listed on the container), take it with you to the vet.
- Call to inform your vet that you will be bringing your dog in. He may want to contact
the poison center for more information.
- Bring with you anything your dog has vomited or chewed in a zip-lock bag. This is especially important if you do not know what poison was ingested.
- Before leaving for the vet it may be necessary to begin treatment at home.
- To purge the poison you induce vomiting. Hydrogen Peroxide 3% is used. Never use syrup of Ipecac which can be toxic to pets.
- Never induce vomiting if a caustic substance was swallowed. Caustic poisons need to be neutralized.
- If an acidic poison (like bleach) has been ingested, Milk of Magnesia can be given or activated charcoal.
- If an alkaline poison has been ingested, vinegar or lemon juice is needed.
- Sometimes you can dilute the poison by giving your dog milk to drink.
- If the toxin is on the coat give your dog a bath and rinse him for 10 minutes before going to the vet.
Poison Control Emergency Numbers
(900) 680-0000 costs $20 for the first five minutes and $2.95 for each additional minute billed to your telephone.(800) 548-2423 and (888) ANI-HELP [(888) 426-4435 – These are credit- card-only numbers for $30 per case. (Only Master Card, Visa, American Express, and Discover cards are accepted.)
originally published in the August 2009 newsletter